60-90 Days Before:
- Find a Realtor to sell your home.
- Find a Realtor in destination city.
- Contact moving companies for written estimates.
- Update your address book.
- Obtain appraisals or gather receipts of high value items.
15-30 Days Before:
- Eliminate everything you do not want to move.
- Schedule elevator if moving from apartment building.
- Arrange for new auto and home insurance.
- Arrange for or start collecting the cartons you need to start packing.
- Start to pack non-essential items.
- Notify post office and fill out change of address.
- Notify credit card companies of your change of address.
- Notify schools and make arrangements for school records to be sent to the new school.
- Ask your doctors and dentists for copy of records and referrals.
- Arrange to have someone watch children and pets during the day of the move,
- Get hotel and airline reservations, if needed.
8-14 Days Before:
- Collect all clothing and items to be repaired or cleaned.
- Return things borrowed or collect things loaned.
- Arrange transfer of banking accounts.
- Get refunds on deposits made.
- Arrange to discontinue utility services and connect at new residence. These include:
- cable/ Internet
1-7 Days Before:
- Dispose of all flammable, cleaning fluids, bleach, paint, aerosol cans and ammunition.
- Drain gas and oil from power equipment (mower, weed eater)
- Set aside things to pack in the car.
- Have all fragile items boxed, marked and set aside.
- Disconnect TV and antenna.
- Arrange payment for mover.
- Empty freezer
- Defrost and clean refrigerator.
- Pack a box of items you will needs as soon as you arrive.
- Finish packing personal items, strip and pack bedding.
- Have an extra box available for last minute items.
- Have an extra box or bag for last minute trash.
- Accompany the driver during the inventory taking and check the condition of your goods as they are being loaded.
- Sign the Bill Of Lading and make sure the delivery address and contact numbers are correct. Give driver directions to your new home.
- Double check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure all are empty.
- Leave old keys with your realtor or neighbor.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself.