Get Your Quote:
Long Distance Moving: What Should You Expect
Most homeowners, even those who have moved before, are not prepared for a long distance move. Long distance moves are significantly more complicated than moving within your city, whether you are moving to a different state or a different country. Fortunately, it is never too late to start preparing for your long distance move! In this article, you will find detailed information on what you should expect from your long distance moving company. You will also find some tips for moving, which will really help as you start planning and packing!
Choosing a Moving Company
Your moving company will be very involved throughout the moving process. They can help with understanding the long distance moving process, give you some guidance, and may even provide packing materials. Because of their great involvement, you want to be sure to consider a few things before deciding on the company that will help you move.
What Services Do They Offer?
Some common services include helping package larger items, helping fill out an inventory sheet, providing packaging materials, unpacking at your destination, and more. You do not have to choose all of these services, just the ones that will make your move easier that are within your budget. Remember, the number of services that you choose will have an effect on the total cost of your long distance moving services.
Do They Guarantee Your Price Quote?
The last thing you want after budgeting for your move is to choose a company that is going to charge you more than you were originally quoted when you arrive at your destination. So, you should choose a company that guarantees the cost of your move. The only things that should effect this price are whether you add or remove services.
Have They Provided Satisfactory Service to Past Customers?
The way a moving company treats their customers often has great implications on how smoothly your move can go. You should look for a company that makes the moving process simple. They should also be knowledgeable about the moving process and willing to answer any of your questions. If you aren’t sure about a particular long distance moving company, look for customer reviews online to get an idea of what to expect.
The Moving Process
Once you have considered which company will choose, you will have a better idea of the long distance moving process. However, you may still have some questions. The moving process can be broken down into several steps.
- Know Your Budget- Moving long distance requires strict budgeting. Don’t forget that you must include money for gas, food, a place to stay if your house is not ready when you get there, and anything that may forget. You will also need money to turn on your utilities, buy household supplies, and pay the moving company when you get there!
- Choose What You Bring- Long distance moving should be viewed as a way to start over. This includes choosing the belongings that you bring carefully. Some items may cost more to bring along than they would to purchase new! Remember, you also have the option of keeping a storage unit in your hometown until you are ready to move everything.
- Know Relocation Requirements- Some places require that you surrender your old plates before leaving the state, while others let you make these changes once you get there. You will also need to update your driver’s license, address, and more. Try to take care of these things beforehand so that you have less to worry about the first week in your new city.
- Moving Day- There are a few things that you should expect on moving day. First, all of your large valuables will need to be accounted for before the move. This is done using an inventory sheet. The moving company will also inspect this prior to packaging, so leave these items out if you plan on having the company insure them.
Tips for Moving Long Distance
Now that you have an understanding of how to choose a moving company, as well as some guidelines for what to expect for long distance moving, it is time to learn some tips for moving long distance. Hopefully, these will simplify the moving process.
- Pack Out-of-Season Items First- The best place to start packing in your home is usually the attic or crawlspace. If you do plan on bringing most of your belongings, these areas probably contain out-of-season clothing, precious memorabilia, and other things that you will not need until after you have moved. You should also take this chance to clean out these areas and get rid of anything that you do not need to keep!
- Label Everything- When you do not label your boxes, you end up with a mess of blank, cardboard boxes. It is very likely that your new home will become a mess in this case, as your family picks apart boxes, looking for the right items. To prevent this, pack by the room and clearly label everything.
- Keep the Kids Involved- Moving across the country can be very intimidating, whether you have toddlers or teenagers! To help them adjust, let them pack up their room. You can also assign them projects to help them get adjusted to the new area you are moving, such as looking for things to do in the area or finding cool nature pictures from the new city and making a collage.
- Don’t Wait Until Moving Day- The last thing that you want to do on moving day is be running from room to room randomly shoving items in boxes. Make sure you are prepared when the long distance moving company shows up. You should also have your inventory sheet filled out to the best of your ability!
The long distance moving process can be a challenging one, but it doesn’t have to be. When you have more knowledge, you improve your chance for success. To be prepared, research your moving company and make sure they will be able to meet your expectations.
You should also be clear with your expectations, so there is no confusion. Additionally, be sure to take care of all of the moving details beforehand, budget wisely, and follow the tips for packing! Taking all of the right steps won’t necessarily make your move as easy as moving within the same city, but it can come close.